Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#75177 - 04/30/15 11:24 PM Re: Web Page Problems [Re: Tux]
Brit Offline
veteran

Originally Posted By: Tux
I use malwarebytes for spot cleans. The free version works great, you just manually have to start the scan - http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/.
Is you're PC and web browser update to date?
Do you use an anti-virus?
Are there any other symptoms with your PC like it's slowing down, freezes, new prompts you haven't seen before, etc?

I would be cautious of doing anything personal on this PC until you figure out what's going on (ie banking, facebook, etc)

Sorry to say the page you suggested would not open for me. crazy
As far as I know my PC and browser are up to date, and I have no other symptoms. As you suggested,I'm very careful how I am using the computer at this point in time.

#75178 - 04/30/15 11:37 PM Re: Web Page Problems [Re: Brit]
Tux Offline
enthusiast

If the page won't open for you that's a big red flag. A lot of malware will block or redirect security software websites. If you have access to another PC download it from there and then run it on your PC.

#75179 - 05/01/15 12:38 AM Re: Web Page Problems [Re: funkycamper]
Brit Offline
veteran

Originally Posted By: funkycamper
I have a program from AVG that's a 1-click maintenance program. Once in awhile, my computer will start dragging just like you describe when online. That program also cleans up your browser. It takes just a few minutes to run it and it always speeds my system right back up. I'm not really sure what it cleans. It's not malware or spyware. I have other programs for that. But it works so I don't care what it's cleaning, lol. You might check that out.

Thanks for the tip. I found and ran the AVG program. It found and corrected numerous issues, but my problem remains unchanged. frown

#75180 - 05/01/15 05:52 PM Re: Web Page Problems [Re: Brit]
funkycamper Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Oh, bummer...then I dunno. If it's not a virus, not malware, not registry or browser issue, I'm stumped. But I'm no guru..

My cheap laptop is about 6 years old and I find that I have to wipe it back to factory settings and reload programs about once a year. If I do that, everything runs really fast for awhile and then, after awhile, none of these utilities will fix the lagging and otherissues that begin to reoccur. So another reset fixes the problem again.

If you have everything backed up on the cloud (or a separate hard drive), this is a quick and easy process. I immediately reload the anti-virus stuff but I just reload a program when I first need it again. Since most of the programs I use are cloud-based, I have few to reload.

Hope some of this is helpful.

#75181 - 05/01/15 09:20 PM Re: Web Page Problems [Re: funkycamper]
Brit Offline
veteran

Originally Posted By: funkycamper
Oh, bummer...then I dunno. If it's not a virus, not malware, not registry or browser issue, I'm stumped. But I'm no guru..

My cheap laptop is about 6 years old and I find that I have to wipe it back to factory settings and reload programs about once a year. If I do that, everything runs really fast for awhile and then, after awhile, none of these utilities will fix the lagging and otherissues that begin to reoccur. So another reset fixes the problem again.

If you have everything backed up on the cloud (or a separate hard drive), this is a quick and easy process. I immediately reload the anti-virus stuff but I just reload a program when I first need it again. Since most of the programs I use are cloud-based, I have few to reload.

Hope some of this is helpful.

I've hear the term "Cloud" but really have no idea what it is.

#75182 - 05/02/15 05:56 AM Re: Web Page Problems [Re: Brit]
ikayak Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Hahahah...no one does...exactly...
It's all getting very Matrix-y. wink

Which allows for some "big things".

Self-admitted Liar in Chief:

#75183 - 05/02/15 06:27 PM Re: Web Page Problems [Re: Brit]
funkycamper Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Yeah, all stuff is somewhere out "there". Automatically uploaded, accessible from anywhere as long as you are online. Even phone photos. I use the Googleverse and Dropbox. If computer dies, you haven't lost anything.

#75184 - 05/04/15 06:22 PM Re: Web Page Problems [Re: funkycamper]
Brit Offline
veteran

Happy! Happy!
I was on the Centurylink help line for nearly 2 hours yesterday and one of their techies was able to identify the problem and get it fixed. Something had infected my modem which caused changes to settings. I had almost given up, but this guy was very persistent and kept telling me he would fix the problem. He took it on as a fun challenge...and he won! My pages have never opened so quickly.

#75185 - 05/04/15 07:33 PM Re: Web Page Problems [Re: Brit]
ikayak Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Hey congratulations! That's awesome! That's a great advertisement for Century Link internet service! Who knew?!? We have the dreaded Comcast I-service. Oh well, hubby loves the Mac Pro and it mind melds with our phones and all of our kids' Apple products, so no regrets investing in one.

Which allows for some "big things".

Self-admitted Liar in Chief:

#75186 - 05/06/15 10:52 PM Re: Web Page Problems [Re: Brit]
Bogus_bill Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: SMA Mexico
We had a problem with Youtube videos not opening in our Aberdeen home. It wound up being a router. Not all problems are within the computer. Glad you have it fixed.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 Registered (), 21 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Ads
Shout Box

Newest Members
michaeia, Bardesh23, MaryOkelley, Dan Jones, Eventrou
725 Registered Users
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23