Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#33053 - 01/08/11 07:35 PM Sign of things to come?
Bogus_bill Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: SMA Mexico
This is breaking but ominous. What message was this shooter trying to send?

Quote:
Gabrielle Giffords, a Democratic member of the US House of Representatives, was shot in the head at close range in front of hundreds of people.

A spokeswoman denied earlier reports that she had died and told ABC News she was in surgery.

A man was arrested after the shooting at a supermarket in Tucson where Ms Giffords was meeting constituents.

* Represents the eighth district of Arizona in the House
* First elected in 2006, re-elected to third term last November
* Has focused on immigration reform, military issues, stem-cell research and alternative energy
* Served in Arizona Senate 2003 to 2005
* Served in Arizona House 2001 to 2003
* Grew up in Tucson, Arizona
* Married to US astronaut Mark Kelly

Members of her staff were among up to 12 other people who were also shot. Reports say one of her aides has died.

Ms Giffords, 40, who represents the eighth district of Arizona in the House, is married to space shuttle astronaut Mark Kelly.

She has served on several congressional committees, including those covering the armed services and foreign affairs.

Jeff Rogers, chairman of the local Democrats, said Ms Giffords was "a rising star" in the party with hopes of eventually winning the Arizona Senate seat.

"That is terrible news," he told BBC News, describing her as "a wonderful congresswoman and a wonderful person".

He added: "We just can't continue to have this kind of carnage on school campuses and against public officials."

The Speaker of the House of the House or Representatives, John Boehner, said: "I am horrified by the senseless attack on Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords and members of her staff.

"An attack on one who serves is an attack on all who serve. Acts and threats of violence against public officials have no place in our society. Our prayers are with Congresswoman Giffords, her staff, all who were injured, and their families. This is a sad day for our country."

#33055 - 01/08/11 09:23 PM Re: Sign of things to come? [Re: Bogus_bill]
Lumberjack Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I hope not.

I've seen the alleged shooters facebook and youtube pages. I also understand they've arrested another suspected accomplice and are looking for another.

I think it's reasonable to withhold any conclusions.

BUT

I don't think that the "second amendment remedies" and some of the teaparty rhetoric
are helpful.

#33060 - 01/09/11 02:30 AM Re: Sign of things to come? [Re: Lumberjack]
Bogus_bill Offline
Carpal Tunnel

People are losing homes, jobs and all sense of normalcy. In the background are Glen Becks, negative campaigning and the sense that our government really doesn't care for the small guy.

Someone popping politicians would fit right in to that situation. I hope we are not that crazy yet.

#33061 - 01/09/11 03:33 PM Re: Sign of things to come? [Re: Bogus_bill]
Lumberjack Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Bogus_bill
People are losing homes, jobs and all sense of normalcy. In the background are Glen Becks, negative campaigning and the sense that our government really doesn't care for the small guy.

Someone popping politicians would fit right in to that situation. I hope we are not that crazy yet.

First of all, of course, all great wishes for Gabrielle Giffords. I have followed her career reasonably closely since she was elected in 2006, because she has been a pretty courageous Democrat from a district that's historically Republican.

But let's forget all that now. Let's now just do two things. One, pray/hope for her survival and recovery. Two, I would encourage all of you to keep an eye out for any signs of coverage that deplores the shooting but says something like, "Of course, there IS a lot of anger out there, so..." You won't hear that today. But keep an ear out for it Sunday, and Monday. As if there's a rationale for something like this. Just keep an ear out.

It might turn out that the shooter is just a nut. If so, so be it. But I implore you, just keep your ear to the ground. You can just hear it, can't you? "Of course, no one defends something like this, but..." Listen for that part after the but.

Finally, I see that Republicans are expressing the requisite horrified reaction. Good for them, today. But Giffords' office windows were broken during the 2009 healthcare summer of madness. And she cancelled an event just last week. Just keep an eye out.

- from The Guardian

#33062 - 01/09/11 06:34 PM Re: Sign of things to come? [Re: Bogus_bill]
Geezer Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Raymond, WA
I hope we are not that crazy yet.

Too late:

Grab your gun,
grab your ammo.
Doff your civies
and put on camo--
IT has started.

#33065 - 01/10/11 12:19 AM Re: Sign of things to come? [Re: Lumberjack]
Bogus_bill Offline
Carpal Tunnel

From all I have heard the shooter was nuts. There are a lot of questions but this one will probably be nailed down to nothing other than mental illness however:

How would his mental illness have manifested itself without the Glen Becks and our political climate?

#33066 - 01/10/11 12:54 AM Re: Sign of things to come? [Re: Bogus_bill]
Geezer Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Raymond, WA
How would his mental illness have manifested itself without the Glen Becks and our political climate?

Probably like a chimpanzee in a zoo, flinging feces at tourists.

#33067 - 01/10/11 01:14 AM Re: Sign of things to come? [Re: Bogus_bill]
Thumper Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: I'm in a blue state.
Quote:
[/quote] http://wireupdate.com/wires/13966/no-evi...jared-loughner/
[quote]No evidence that Sarah Palin or Glenn Beck influenced gunman Jared Loughner

http://www.salon.com/news/gabrielle_giff...ghner_book_list
Quote:
Liberals and conservatives claim the alleged killer's reading reveals his true ideology. They're both wrong

We need more information, but your question stinks of bias.

#33068 - 01/10/11 01:56 AM Re: Sign of things to come? [Re: Thumper]
Stash Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: State of Euphoria
Quote:
No evidence that Sarah Palin or Glenn Beck influenced gunman Jared Loughner

I bet you're right. Neither Beck nor Palin have had any effect on the wingnuts what-so-ever. It's just a coinkydink that she took her Bulls eye target off Arizona and Rep. Gifford's district. Yep... no evidence at all.

Think she'll put it back up? Wanna bet?

#33069 - 01/10/11 02:26 AM Re: Sign of things to come? [Re: Stash]
Thumper Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: I'm in a blue state.
Quote:
But one classmate, Steven Cates, said he had tried on occasion to engage Mr. Loughner in political discussions, with no luck. He instead liked to talk about philosophy, or logic or literature, but not politics, Mr. Cates said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/10/us/10shooter.html?pagewanted=2&_r=2

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Who's Online
0 Registered (), 21 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Ads
Shout Box

Newest Members
michaeia, Bardesh23, MaryOkelley, Dan Jones, Eventrou
725 Registered Users
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23