Web Page Problems

Posted by: Brit

Web Page Problems - 04/28/15 11:50 PM

For some unknown reason certain web sites I have visited for years will no longer open (Weather.com for example. An alert on lower left side of screen says "Waiting for tags.crwdcntrl.net). Other pages have slowed to open, often taking up to 45 seconds (Accuweather.com for example. An alert on the lower left side of the screen says "Establishing secure connection...) I'm using Windows Vista and Chrome browser, but have the same issues on Firefox. I think it must be some sort of setting that is causing this, but I'm not sure how to go about it. Anyone have ideas I might try to fix these problems?
Posted by: ikayak

Re: Web Page Problems - 04/29/15 06:14 AM

We have experienced the same problem. SOOOO frustrating! We tried all of the usual fixes to no avail. So we went out and bought a Mac Pro. Problem solved! wink
Posted by: Bogus_bill

Re: Web Page Problems - 04/29/15 11:50 PM

When you are waiting for a web site to load, just try hitting the stop on your browser bar and see if it loads. That may get you by.

Vista and XP have been orphaned, which could be the problem. The other possibility is malware. Run http://www.infospyware.com/antispyware/adwcleaner/ and see if that helps.

Re: Web Page Problems - 04/30/15 03:01 AM

I've tried hitting the stop, but most usually nothing more happens. Is there a way to get the web site you mentioned in English? Mine just shows in Spanish. Thanks for the suggestions. I may end up doing what Ikayak did, but I want to exhaust my options before doing that.

Re: Web Page Problems - 04/30/15 06:03 AM

Just click on Descargar and it will do it's job removing malware. It is simple, safe, ads no extra programs to the download and is used in pc repair shops everywhere. And, it is free.

I like the Apple products but have no desire to go through that learning curve. It is frustrating enough with Windows 8 and I understand the concepts.

Re: Web Page Problems - 04/30/15 05:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Bogus_bill
Just click on Descargar and it will do it's job removing malware. It is simple, safe, ads no extra programs to the download and is used in pc repair shops everywhere. And, it is free.

I like the Apple products but have no desire to go through that learning curve. It is frustrating enough with Windows 8 and I understand the concepts.

I ran the spyware program but it didn't fix my problem frown
I've also run an Avast Full Scan with the same result. Any other suggestions?

Re: Web Page Problems - 04/30/15 05:54 PM

Buy a Mac Pro. wink
Posted by: Tux

Re: Web Page Problems - 04/30/15 07:09 PM

I use malwarebytes for spot cleans. The free version works great, you just manually have to start the scan - http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/.
Is you're PC and web browser update to date?
Do you use an anti-virus?
Are there any other symptoms with your PC like it's slowing down, freezes, new prompts you haven't seen before, etc?

I would be cautious of doing anything personal on this PC until you figure out what's going on (ie banking, facebook, etc)

Re: Web Page Problems - 04/30/15 07:12 PM

If you have the money to buy a Mac then go for it, however if you have that kind of money it might be worth having a professional look at your PC.

If you don't have a couple thousand to spend and want a simple budget PC look into the HP Stream Mini - http://www.amazon.com/HP-Stream-200-010-Mini-Desktop/dp/B00R7R1GWK. At $180, it's a brand new full PC that does the basics very well. Windows 10 should be coming out later this year and it will be a free upgrade for Windows 8 users.
Posted by: funkycamper

Re: Web Page Problems - 04/30/15 08:17 PM

I have a program from AVG that's a 1-click maintenance program. Once in awhile, my computer will start dragging just like you describe when online. That program also cleans up your browser. It takes just a few minutes to run it and it always speeds my system right back up. I'm not really sure what it cleans. It's not malware or spyware. I have other programs for that. But it works so I don't care what it's cleaning, lol. You might check that out.

Re: Web Page Problems - 04/30/15 11:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Tux
I use malwarebytes for spot cleans. The free version works great, you just manually have to start the scan - http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/.
Is you're PC and web browser update to date?
Do you use an anti-virus?
Are there any other symptoms with your PC like it's slowing down, freezes, new prompts you haven't seen before, etc?

I would be cautious of doing anything personal on this PC until you figure out what's going on (ie banking, facebook, etc)

Sorry to say the page you suggested would not open for me. crazy
As far as I know my PC and browser are up to date, and I have no other symptoms. As you suggested,I'm very careful how I am using the computer at this point in time.

Re: Web Page Problems - 04/30/15 11:37 PM

If the page won't open for you that's a big red flag. A lot of malware will block or redirect security software websites. If you have access to another PC download it from there and then run it on your PC.

Re: Web Page Problems - 05/01/15 12:38 AM

Originally Posted By: funkycamper
I have a program from AVG that's a 1-click maintenance program. Once in awhile, my computer will start dragging just like you describe when online. That program also cleans up your browser. It takes just a few minutes to run it and it always speeds my system right back up. I'm not really sure what it cleans. It's not malware or spyware. I have other programs for that. But it works so I don't care what it's cleaning, lol. You might check that out.

Thanks for the tip. I found and ran the AVG program. It found and corrected numerous issues, but my problem remains unchanged. frown

Re: Web Page Problems - 05/01/15 05:52 PM

Oh, bummer...then I dunno. If it's not a virus, not malware, not registry or browser issue, I'm stumped. But I'm no guru..

My cheap laptop is about 6 years old and I find that I have to wipe it back to factory settings and reload programs about once a year. If I do that, everything runs really fast for awhile and then, after awhile, none of these utilities will fix the lagging and otherissues that begin to reoccur. So another reset fixes the problem again.

If you have everything backed up on the cloud (or a separate hard drive), this is a quick and easy process. I immediately reload the anti-virus stuff but I just reload a program when I first need it again. Since most of the programs I use are cloud-based, I have few to reload.

Hope some of this is helpful.

Re: Web Page Problems - 05/01/15 09:20 PM

Originally Posted By: funkycamper
Oh, bummer...then I dunno. If it's not a virus, not malware, not registry or browser issue, I'm stumped. But I'm no guru..

My cheap laptop is about 6 years old and I find that I have to wipe it back to factory settings and reload programs about once a year. If I do that, everything runs really fast for awhile and then, after awhile, none of these utilities will fix the lagging and otherissues that begin to reoccur. So another reset fixes the problem again.

If you have everything backed up on the cloud (or a separate hard drive), this is a quick and easy process. I immediately reload the anti-virus stuff but I just reload a program when I first need it again. Since most of the programs I use are cloud-based, I have few to reload.

Hope some of this is helpful.

I've hear the term "Cloud" but really have no idea what it is.

Re: Web Page Problems - 05/02/15 05:56 AM

Hahahah...no one does...exactly...
It's all getting very Matrix-y. wink

Re: Web Page Problems - 05/02/15 06:27 PM

Yeah, all stuff is somewhere out "there". Automatically uploaded, accessible from anywhere as long as you are online. Even phone photos. I use the Googleverse and Dropbox. If computer dies, you haven't lost anything.

Re: Web Page Problems - 05/04/15 06:22 PM

Happy! Happy!
I was on the Centurylink help line for nearly 2 hours yesterday and one of their techies was able to identify the problem and get it fixed. Something had infected my modem which caused changes to settings. I had almost given up, but this guy was very persistent and kept telling me he would fix the problem. He took it on as a fun challenge...and he won! My pages have never opened so quickly.

Re: Web Page Problems - 05/04/15 07:33 PM

Hey congratulations! That's awesome! That's a great advertisement for Century Link internet service! Who knew?!? We have the dreaded Comcast I-service. Oh well, hubby loves the Mac Pro and it mind melds with our phones and all of our kids' Apple products, so no regrets investing in one.

Re: Web Page Problems - 05/06/15 10:52 PM

We had a problem with Youtube videos not opening in our Aberdeen home. It wound up being a router. Not all problems are within the computer. Glad you have it fixed.