Sign of things to come?

Posted by: Bogus_bill

Sign of things to come? - 01/08/11 07:35 PM

This is breaking but ominous. What message was this shooter trying to send?

Quote:
Gabrielle Giffords, a Democratic member of the US House of Representatives, was shot in the head at close range in front of hundreds of people.

A spokeswoman denied earlier reports that she had died and told ABC News she was in surgery.

A man was arrested after the shooting at a supermarket in Tucson where Ms Giffords was meeting constituents.

* Represents the eighth district of Arizona in the House
* First elected in 2006, re-elected to third term last November
* Has focused on immigration reform, military issues, stem-cell research and alternative energy
* Served in Arizona Senate 2003 to 2005
* Served in Arizona House 2001 to 2003
* Grew up in Tucson, Arizona
* Married to US astronaut Mark Kelly

Members of her staff were among up to 12 other people who were also shot. Reports say one of her aides has died.

Ms Giffords, 40, who represents the eighth district of Arizona in the House, is married to space shuttle astronaut Mark Kelly.

She has served on several congressional committees, including those covering the armed services and foreign affairs.

Jeff Rogers, chairman of the local Democrats, said Ms Giffords was "a rising star" in the party with hopes of eventually winning the Arizona Senate seat.

"That is terrible news," he told BBC News, describing her as "a wonderful congresswoman and a wonderful person".

He added: "We just can't continue to have this kind of carnage on school campuses and against public officials."

The Speaker of the House of the House or Representatives, John Boehner, said: "I am horrified by the senseless attack on Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords and members of her staff.

"An attack on one who serves is an attack on all who serve. Acts and threats of violence against public officials have no place in our society. Our prayers are with Congresswoman Giffords, her staff, all who were injured, and their families. This is a sad day for our country."
Posted by: Lumberjack

Re: Sign of things to come? - 01/08/11 09:23 PM

I hope not.

I've seen the alleged shooters facebook and youtube pages. I also understand they've arrested another suspected accomplice and are looking for another.

I think it's reasonable to withhold any conclusions.

BUT

I don't think that the "second amendment remedies" and some of the teaparty rhetoric
are helpful.

Re: Sign of things to come? - 01/09/11 02:30 AM

People are losing homes, jobs and all sense of normalcy. In the background are Glen Becks, negative campaigning and the sense that our government really doesn't care for the small guy.

Someone popping politicians would fit right in to that situation. I hope we are not that crazy yet.

Re: Sign of things to come? - 01/09/11 03:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Bogus_bill
People are losing homes, jobs and all sense of normalcy. In the background are Glen Becks, negative campaigning and the sense that our government really doesn't care for the small guy.

Someone popping politicians would fit right in to that situation. I hope we are not that crazy yet.

First of all, of course, all great wishes for Gabrielle Giffords. I have followed her career reasonably closely since she was elected in 2006, because she has been a pretty courageous Democrat from a district that's historically Republican.

But let's forget all that now. Let's now just do two things. One, pray/hope for her survival and recovery. Two, I would encourage all of you to keep an eye out for any signs of coverage that deplores the shooting but says something like, "Of course, there IS a lot of anger out there, so..." You won't hear that today. But keep an ear out for it Sunday, and Monday. As if there's a rationale for something like this. Just keep an ear out.

It might turn out that the shooter is just a nut. If so, so be it. But I implore you, just keep your ear to the ground. You can just hear it, can't you? "Of course, no one defends something like this, but..." Listen for that part after the but.

Finally, I see that Republicans are expressing the requisite horrified reaction. Good for them, today. But Giffords' office windows were broken during the 2009 healthcare summer of madness. And she cancelled an event just last week. Just keep an eye out.

- from The Guardian
Posted by: Geezer

Re: Sign of things to come? - 01/09/11 06:34 PM

I hope we are not that crazy yet.

Too late:

Grab your gun,
grab your ammo.
Doff your civies
and put on camo--
IT has started.

Re: Sign of things to come? - 01/10/11 12:19 AM

From all I have heard the shooter was nuts. There are a lot of questions but this one will probably be nailed down to nothing other than mental illness however:

How would his mental illness have manifested itself without the Glen Becks and our political climate?
Posted by: Geezer

Re: Sign of things to come? - 01/10/11 12:54 AM

How would his mental illness have manifested itself without the Glen Becks and our political climate?

Probably like a chimpanzee in a zoo, flinging feces at tourists.
Posted by: Thumper

Re: Sign of things to come? - 01/10/11 01:14 AM

Quote:
[/quote] http://wireupdate.com/wires/13966/no-evi...jared-loughner/
[quote]No evidence that Sarah Palin or Glenn Beck influenced gunman Jared Loughner

http://www.salon.com/news/gabrielle_giff...ghner_book_list
Quote:
Liberals and conservatives claim the alleged killer's reading reveals his true ideology. They're both wrong

We need more information, but your question stinks of bias.
Posted by: Stash

Re: Sign of things to come? - 01/10/11 01:56 AM

Quote:
No evidence that Sarah Palin or Glenn Beck influenced gunman Jared Loughner

I bet you're right. Neither Beck nor Palin have had any effect on the wingnuts what-so-ever. It's just a coinkydink that she took her Bulls eye target off Arizona and Rep. Gifford's district. Yep... no evidence at all.

Think she'll put it back up? Wanna bet?

Re: Sign of things to come? - 01/10/11 02:26 AM

Quote:
But one classmate, Steven Cates, said he had tried on occasion to engage Mr. Loughner in political discussions, with no luck. He instead liked to talk about philosophy, or logic or literature, but not politics, Mr. Cates said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/10/us/10shooter.html?pagewanted=2&_r=2
Posted by: FUBAR

Re: Sign of things to come? - 01/10/11 03:38 PM

Among others, he killed a 9 year old girl and three elderly women. I hope he is proud of himself.

Re: Sign of things to come? - 01/10/11 04:30 PM

She was born Sept. 11, 2001.

The shooter deserves to die!

Re: Sign of things to come? - 01/10/11 04:42 PM

I agree with you on a micro level. Looking specifically at this domestic terrorist, there is no evidence that Palin or Beck's rhetoric had any effect. But, on a macro level putting bullseyes on a map and telling your lemmings not to "retreat bur reload!" can't be helpful.

Re: Sign of things to come? - 01/10/11 05:09 PM

It takes two to tango, both side have raise the heat up.

Re: Sign of things to come? - 01/10/11 05:19 PM

I'm glad you see the problem. I was needlessly worried for a bit.

Re: Sign of things to come? - 01/10/11 06:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Stash
I agree with you on a micro level. Looking specifically at this domestic terrorist, there is no evidence that Palin or Beck's rhetoric had any effect. But, on a macro level putting bullseyes on a map and telling your lemmings not to "retreat bur reload!" can't be helpful.

Re: Sign of things to come? - 01/10/11 06:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Stash
It's just a coinkydink that she took her Bulls eye target off Arizona and Rep. Gifford's district. Yep... no evidence at all.

Think she'll put it back up? Wanna bet?

They'll first need to edit it to reflect only 19 crosshairs.

Re: Sign of things to come? - 01/10/11 06:31 PM

Quote:
They'll first need to edit it to reflect only 19 crosshairs.

No she won't. I think Palin is woefully ignorant, but she's not stupid. Or, she's stupid like a fox. Her brand was significantly tarnished by this tragedy. She took it down and, I'll bet it's down for good. Now, she'll think how she can make a few more bucks from Rupert and FAUX News, and how to turn it into another book.

Re: Sign of things to come? - 01/10/11 06:32 PM

From all I have heard the shooter was nuts. There are a lot of questions but this one will probably be nailed down to nothing other than mental illness however:

I think you've hit the nail on the head. Talking about "watering the tree of liberty" and "second amendment remedies" and "I want (my constituents) armed and dangerous." Is lighting a fire that burns indiscriminately.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/113176989.html

I also think there's also something to be said for better mental health intervention.
Posted by: Beavis H. Christ

Re: Sign of things to come? - 01/10/11 07:11 PM

Predictably, it's "just another nutjob here" and "the rhetoric is heated on both sides."

Bullsh*t. There is no moral equivalency between calling attention to someone's crimes--q.v. Cheney and Rumsfeld and the several international law enforcement agencies trying to pick up the slack for the American failure to live up to UN charter obligations--and putting the crosshairs of a gun on someone while calling for "second amendment remedies."

Isn't it interesting how we hear this "moral equivalency" crap again and again, and yet it's people on the left getting shot...again?
Posted by: mdean

Re: Sign of things to come? - 01/10/11 07:54 PM

I didn't see the sign when it was up on her site. In fact, I didn't know the site or sign existed because I don't do a lot of searches for Sarah Palin's political wisdom. But how on earth can a person justify a sign like that! And now she has a message of condolence on her site for the tragedy. What did she expect? Or worse, is this what she expected and hoped for? And how does that sign not fall under the hypersensitive "terrorist" branding of late?

Re: Sign of things to come? - 01/10/11 08:14 PM

Originally Posted By: mdean
I didn't see the sign when it was up on her site. In fact, I didn't know the site or sign existed because I don't do a lot of searches for Sarah Palin's political wisdom. But how on earth can a person justify a sign like that! And now she has a message of condolence on her site for the tragedy. What did she expect? Or worse, is this what she expected and hoped for? And how does that sign not fall under the hypersensitive "terrorist" branding of late?

If this had been a school shooting, the student who put up the Web page with the crosshairs would be in custody now.

Re: Sign of things to come? - 01/10/11 09:17 PM

I find myself being hypocritical here, does he deserve to die, my first instinct is yes, but I don't know why he did it. Is he insane, probably.

Re: Sign of things to come? - 01/10/11 09:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Beavis H. Christ

If this had been a school shooting, the student who put up the Web page with the crosshairs would be in custody now.

You're absolutely right! The same kind of people that want to blame drug use on athletes and suicide on Judas Priest are awfully quiet about Palin's culpability in this tragedy.

Re: Sign of things to come? - 01/10/11 10:07 PM

You're absolutely right! The same kind of people that want to blame drug use on athletes and suicide on Judas Priest are awfully quiet about Palin's culpability in this tragedy.

...and worse, in some cases actively denying it and using the "moral equivalency" argument. One of Palin's press people apparently went so far over the weekend as to lie outright and say "oh, those weren't crosshairs--they were surveyor's marks."

Yeah, because "don't retreat--reload" is so obviously a reference to surveying.

Re: Sign of things to come? - 01/10/11 10:32 PM

Quote:
Yeah, because "don't retreat--reload" is so obviously a reference to surveying.

smile Sure, I know I need to reload my chalk line every once-in-a-while.

Re: Sign of things to come? - 01/11/11 03:50 AM

Where would Mike draw a line on Free Speech?

March 31, 2010

Two or Three wrongs don't make a right.

http://www.verumserum.com/?p=13647
[img:left]http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=373854973434[/img]

Posted by: ikayak

Re: Sign of things to come? - 01/11/11 04:29 AM

So then this thread is an example of helpful rhetoric?

Alrighty then.

Perfect.

Re: Sign of things to come? - 01/11/11 04:34 AM

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2011/01/the-cloudy-logic-of-political-shootings/69147/
Quote:
The Cloudy Logic of 'Political' Shootings

Re: Sign of things to come? - 01/11/11 04:35 AM

Free Speech.

Re: Sign of things to come? - 01/11/11 04:49 AM

For now.

Re: Sign of things to come? - 01/11/11 05:14 AM

What happens if now Sarah Palin or Sharron Angle becomes a victim of violence? Will the fingers pointing at them now, then be complicit in the violence by reason of placing the responsibility of the horrific Arizona shootings by an obviously disturbed young man upon them? Why are fingers on MSNBC and CNN and in this thread not also being pointed at Joe Manchin? He made an armed aim and shoot political ad that was praised by political strategists saying it won him the election.

Good grief.
Even previous situational knee-jerk Obama has finally learned his lesson and is not jumping in with any uninformed opinion.

Re: Sign of things to come? - 01/11/11 07:10 AM

Originally Posted By: Thumper
Where would Mike draw a line on Free Speech?

Mike is in favor of free speech. He just told me so. Mike's not the one that is afraid of t-shirts and slogans and Internet blogs, and he has never moved to censor them. Mike was just pointing out the inconsistency that the same group that runs amok with the "terrorist" label would turn a blind eye when one of their own would put crosshairs on a map.

Re: Sign of things to come? - 01/11/11 02:32 PM

"The wicked flee when no one pursueth."

Didn't we all know this was coming?

Free speech is an interesting concept. "Kill the liberals. Ha ha, I was just joking. Choke Michael Moore to death. Ha ha, I'm such a kidder. We should poison Justice Stevens. Ha ha. Another joke - really."

Does the nature of their humor say something about them, or about the audience that made them rich?

Re: Sign of things to come? - 01/11/11 04:18 PM

Too bad you didn't see the map before all this.

Re: Sign of things to come? - 01/11/11 04:35 PM

"Get on Target for Victory in November Help remove Gabrielle Giffords from office Shoot a fully automatic M16 with Jesse Kelly"

M16s at as a campaign event? No one sees the problem?

Re: Sign of things to come? - 01/11/11 04:38 PM

Why?

Re: Sign of things to come? - 01/11/11 04:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Lumberjack
Free speech is an interesting concept.

"Free" speech is a myth. There are always consequences to what we say and do. I support free speech over censorship, but I also accept that there is a cost involved. Free speech is simply the freedom to express ideas. It doesn't come with immunity. If you spout stupidity you will be held accountable.

Re: Sign of things to come? - 01/11/11 05:13 PM

Why, because complaining now is like closing the barn doors after the cows get out.

Re: Sign of things to come? - 01/11/11 05:18 PM

If you spout stupidity you will be held accountable.

That accountability is not apparent. The three quotes above were made by three of the four most successful pundits in media.

They are saying what their audience wants to hear; "Kill 'em." followed by the disclaimer "haha I was joking".

I've heard the joke before, and it wasn't funny then either.

The false equivalency put forward bugs me for two reasons. Once obvious, and another not so obvious. Obvious: There's no equivalence to the gun and violence imagery coming from the right. "Peace/love/dope/can't we all get along?" has no appeal to those secretly or not so secretly yearning for violence.

Not so obvious: The right is emboldened by that lack of reciprocation. They don't respect the left because they are weak. I'm greatly conflicted about this, but when we're so averse to "looking back" and "revenge" as to consciously choose to not prosecute war criminals, then the sum total of all the violent rhetoric goes up because one side knows they can escalate without limit.

Glenn Beck is genuinely surprised when he realizes that the vitriol he heaps on others might possibly one day be redirected toward him. He does what he does because that possibility never occurred to him. They operate risk-free.

Re: Sign of things to come? - 01/11/11 05:19 PM

Why, because complaining now is like closing the barn doors after the cows get out.

The shooting this weekend was the first cow. It's imperative that the barn doors get shut now.

Re: Sign of things to come? - 01/11/11 05:24 PM

Hmm... I guess I didn't see it as complaining as much as just commenting. Like, "Yeah she left the barn door open, what was she expecting!" That sort of thing.

But I will try to stay more indoctrinated with propaganda symbolism so I am qualified to comment in the future. Thanks for the heads up. wink

Re: Sign of things to come? - 01/11/11 05:46 PM

Question for me is, would Mike still have said the same thing about the map if the shootings didn't happen?

As I pointed out Palin was not the first to use targets on maps regarding political opponents. Complaining now will not change the past.

We do not yet know why Loughner shot the Congress woman and all the rest. He had met and spoke with her in 2007, and at that time said she was a fake.

The crosshairs are an easy target to say they cause Loughner to start shooting, but no one knows why yet.

If you outlaw crosshairs, what will be next?

Re: Sign of things to come? - 01/11/11 05:49 PM

As I pointed out Palin was not the first to use targets on maps regarding political opponents.

Thumper, your "democratic example" didn't use actual gunsight crosshairs, did it? Palin is indeed the one who put actual gunsight crosshairs on her map. There is a difference between a target and the sights of a firearm.

Re: Sign of things to come? - 01/11/11 05:59 PM

Tomato, Tomato.

Re: Sign of things to come? - 01/11/11 06:44 PM

Quote:
“We never ever, ever intended it to be gun sights. It was simply cross hairs like you’d see on maps,” Palin said.

I don't like Sarah Palin and because of that it would be convenient if a case could be made that her cross hairs perpetuated this tragedy. However, I gotta go with Thumper on this one. The symbolism looks lousy but I don't believe that in any way she meant cross hairs to have anything to do with actual guns.

Re: Sign of things to come? - 01/11/11 06:46 PM

Tomato, Tomato.

Wrong.

Wrong.

Re: Sign of things to come? - 01/11/11 07:52 PM

Posted by: imhotep

Re: Sign of things to come? - 01/11/11 08:20 PM

Commonsense Conservatives & lovers of America: 'Don't Retreat, Instead - RELOAD!'" Pls see my Facebook page.

Re: Sign of things to come? - 01/11/11 08:26 PM

Quote:
“We never ever, ever intended it to be gun sights. It was simply cross hairs like you’d see on maps,” Palin said.

I don't like Sarah Palin and because of that it would be convenient if a case could be made that her cross hairs perpetuated this tragedy. However, I gotta go with Thumper on this one. The symbolism looks lousy but I don't believe that in any way she meant cross hairs to have anything to do with actual guns.

"Don't retreat, reload" is the context. Gun imagery, literal and metaphorical, is both her message and her media.

Quote:
But not all conservatives are happy about Palin’s rhetoric. On “The View” TV show on Thursday, co-host Elizabeth Hasselbeck called Palin’s use of crosshairs imagery “despicable.” Ms. Hasselbeck’s critique raised eyebrows in particular because she had stumped for Palin during the 2008 campaign.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Politics/20...he-gun-rhetoric

The above quote was from March.

Re: Sign of things to come? - 01/11/11 08:58 PM

Quote:
During the 2008 campaign Obama said, “If they bring a knife to the fight, we'll bring a gun.”

Re: Sign of things to come? - 01/11/11 08:59 PM

Question for me is, would Mike still have said the same thing about the map if the shootings didn't happen?

I can't say for certain. I do know there was no mistaking them for anything other than the inside of a scope, so there's a good chance I would have thought them to be in poor taste.

My question for you is, why does it bother you so that I commented on them after the fact? Were my comments so far off base? Did I cry out for her head on a platter? Did I call out for censorship?

I merely point out that it was in poor judgment, especially when taken with the rest of their "reload" message. I would think that someone on her team, being paid big piles of cash to be all smart 'n stuff, might have taken the time to consider the political implications/cost of what could easily be spun as a call to violence, and advised her against it.

Complaining now will not change the past.

Again, I'm not complaining, I'm commenting. There really is a difference.

If you outlaw crosshairs, what will be next?

At what point in this did I ever suggest outlawing crosshairs?

Re: Sign of things to come? - 01/11/11 09:00 PM

[The symbolism looks lousy but I don't believe that in any way she meant cross hairs to have anything to do with actual guns.

Re: Sign of things to come? - 01/11/11 09:01 PM

Quote:
During the 2008 campaign Obama said, “If they bring a knife to the fight, we'll bring a gun.”

Oooh, the black guy used the word "gun"! Clearly he must be equally culpable. Clearly.

Re: Sign of things to come? - 01/11/11 10:01 PM

Quote:
My question for you is, why does it bother you so that I commented on them after the fact? Were my comments so far off base? Did I cry out for her head on a platter? Did I call out for censorship?

Because now, after the fact, it is too easy to say she should not have used the crosshairs. Hunting and combat terms are used all the time in politics, and I don't think you can say the crosshairs were bad but the use of targets is OK. Google the term "taking aim politics" and see what comes up.

Re: Sign of things to come? - 01/11/11 10:06 PM

In hindsight, I bet President Obama wishes he would have used that expression, huh? However, there is no moral equivalence between Obama's comment and some of those cited on the Wrong Wing. Clearly, Obama's was "rhetoric" in that "the wrong wing nutbars are talking about us like this so we need to point out this stuff about them!". While Sharon Angle has yet to make a coherent spin about her "Second Amendment Remedies". I bet she would run away from the cameras even faster now that someone has attempted to do that.

I'll give Palin a pass on her map in that I truly don't think she wanted anyone hurt. But, I think everyone will be a little more careful with their choice of words.

Re: Sign of things to come? - 01/11/11 10:09 PM

Quote:
I think everyone will be a little more careful with their choice of words.

Let's hope so!

Re: Sign of things to come? - 01/11/11 10:13 PM

Re: Sign of things to come? - 01/11/11 11:28 PM

I meant, "wouldn't have used".

Re: Sign of things to come? - 01/12/11 02:46 AM

Any of you catch Chrissy Matthews yesterday on Hardball? He amuses me. Yesterday he was stuck on “there is not a country in any continent in the world that’s had this kind of history of assassination like we’ve had."

Had to LOL when Judson Phillips off-handedly told Matthews he didn't think that was true. Matthews looked dumb-founded and irritated that he would be questioned on his "fact". He repeated it.

psssst...Chris, off the top of my head: Nigeria. {{cringe}}

Re: Sign of things to come? - 01/12/11 03:06 AM

Originally Posted By: ikayak

Any of you catch Chrissy Matthews yesterday on Hardball? He amuses me. Yesterday he was stuck on “there is not a country in any continent in the world that’s had this kind of history of assassination like we’ve had."

Had to LOL when Judson Phillips off-handedly told Matthews he didn't think that was true. Matthews looked dumb-founded and irritated that he would be questioned on his "fact". He repeated it.

psssst...Chris, off the top of my head: Nigeria. {{cringe}}

U.S.A.At least we're not Nigeria.

Re: Sign of things to come? - 01/12/11 03:46 AM

Yeah, and hey, our media talking heads get paid millions of dollars to spout uninformed opinion!

Re: Sign of things to come? - 01/12/11 03:27 PM

Quote:
"Acts of monstrous criminality stand on their own," Palin said in her statement. "They begin and end with the criminals who commit them, not collectively with all the citizens of a state, not with those who listen to talk radio, not with maps of swing districts used by both sides of the aisle, not with law-abiding citizens who respectfully exercise their First Amendment rights at campaign rallies, not with those who proudly voted in the last election."

She finally hired a speech writer and followed the script. Good statement!

Re: Sign of things to come? - 01/12/11 03:58 PM

... and I don't think you can say the crosshairs were bad but the use of targets is OK.

Right. Something else I didn't say. Thank you.

Re: Sign of things to come? - 01/12/11 04:24 PM

Quote:
Something else I didn't say. Thank you.

Sorry, the use of targets came up in this thread as not being the same as crosshairs, and you never said anything about them, I know.

You are right.
Posted by: Wally B

Re: Sign of things to come? - 01/12/11 06:13 PM

She finally hired a speech writer and followed the script.

And she used a teleprompter !

Re: Sign of things to come? - 01/13/11 01:40 PM

Another person used a teleprompter yesterday as well:

Quote:
"If this tragedy prompts reflection and debate, as it should, let's make sure it's worthy of those we have lost."
PRESIDENT OBAMA, speaking at a memorial service for the victims of the Tucson shooting rampage.

Re: Sign of things to come? - 01/13/11 03:19 PM

Quote:
She finally hired a speech writer and followed the script. Good statement!

Posted on Sarah Palin's facebook page;
I don't think you get to say" blood libel" after you accused a Jewish Congresswoman of wanting to put your Christian child in front of a "death panel."

http://thinkprogress.org/2011/01/12/palin-blood-libel

Re: Sign of things to come? - 01/13/11 04:29 PM

Like someone we know who posts on these forums, Palin just can't quite keep her foot completely out of her mouth..

The more bad press the better. I hope Republicans can do better than present this very stupid woman as a presidential choice.

Re: Sign of things to come? - 01/13/11 04:43 PM

Quote:
Most Doubt Political Rhetoric a Major Factor in Ariz. Shootings

http://www.gallup.com/poll/145556/Doubt-...m_term=Politics

Re: Sign of things to come? - 01/13/11 07:01 PM

Quote:
Most Doubt Political Rhetoric a Major Factor in Ariz. Shootings

There are significant percentages of people in this country who don't believe President Obama is a "real" American, or that evolution is established scientific fact, either.

You can't fix stupid.

Re: Sign of things to come? - 01/14/11 02:46 PM

Quote:
"In conclusion, reading the second United States constitution I can't trust the current government because of the ratifications: the government is implying mind control and brainwash on the people by controlling grammar," he wrote in a December 15 video message on YouTube. "No! I won't pay debt with a currency that's not backed by gold and silver! No! I won't trust in God!" Jared Loughner

The guy is nuts. End of story. He quotes some political blather and you have to wonder at the target he picked but anyone who could write the above is beyond politics.

Re: Sign of things to come? - 01/14/11 08:47 PM

The guy is nuts. End of story.

If a Muslim had done this, conservatives would be going crazy about "extremists." Since a conservative did it, "the guy is nuts. End of story."

Re: Sign of things to come? - 01/14/11 08:58 PM

So, you equate being a Muslim to being nuts?

Re: Sign of things to come? - 01/14/11 10:06 PM

*facepalm*

Re: Sign of things to come? - 01/15/11 12:45 AM

If rhetoric isn't capable of causing crazy people to do heinous acts, then what are we doing in Afghanistan?

The whole point of the war on muslims err terror is exactly that.

Re: Sign of things to come? - 01/15/11 02:30 AM

Quote:
If rhetoric isn't capable of causing crazy people to do heinous acts, then what are we doing in Afghanistan?

The whole point of the war on terror is exactly that.

What are you trying to say here? On second thought, maybe I don't want to know.

Posted by: G.H native

Re: Sign of things to come? - 01/18/11 06:23 AM

He was a conservative??
Posted by: mazda

Re: Sign of things to come? - 01/18/11 10:21 AM

New data suggest a offline too.................

Re: Sign of things to come? - 01/20/11 02:00 AM

Re: Sign of things to come? - 01/20/11 08:48 PM

Quote:
So Byron York did some word searching in CNN's archives, and found that in the month before the Tucson shootings CNN hosts and guests used the term "crosshairs" no less than seven times. Two of those references were to Sarah Palin and Michele Bachmann. CNN described Palin as "in the crosshairs of big time Hollywood producer, Aaron Sorkin," while Bachmann was "in the crosshairs of Democrats."

If someone tries to shoot Sarah Palin or Michele Bachmann, will it be CNN's fault for putting them in the crosshairs? Of course not. But it goes to show how silly the current talk about "rhetoric" is.

Re: Sign of things to come? - 01/20/11 10:56 PM

Quote:
So Byron York did some word searching in CNN's archives, and found that in the month before the Tucson shootings CNN hosts and guests used the term "crosshairs" no less than seven times. Two of those references were to Sarah Palin and Michele Bachmann. CNN described Palin as "in the crosshairs of big time Hollywood producer, Aaron Sorkin," while Bachmann was "in the crosshairs of Democrats."

If someone tries to shoot Sarah Palin or Michele Bachmann, will it be CNN's fault for putting them in the crosshairs? Of course not. But it goes to show how silly the current talk about "rhetoric" is.

You know the difference between making an observation and encouraging someone to act, right? Right?

"I'm shooting for being finished next week" is not the same as "Thumper deserves to be shot."

Examples of "encouraging" - 01/21/11 12:53 AM

Re: Examples of "encouraging" - 01/21/11 05:05 AM

New rules for Turner Network

Quote:

Stevie Ray Vaughn’s Caught in the Crossfire cannot be used as bumper music for NBA games.

Commentators covering political debates or campaigns, should refrain from saying one side has “provided ammunition” for its critics.
For that matter, the word campaign is also far too warlike. (War is a primary definition of campaign in the dictionary.) We will henceforth refer to “election contests” or “political contests.”

A candidate’s own effort should be called a “Primary Contest,” or a “General Election Contest.”

Similarly, we will no longer be using the term “battleground states.”

On air personnel should instead opt for “closely contested” or “states in danger of going Republican.”

Under no circumstances should someone who stubbornly holds to a position be said to be “sticking to his guns.” Republicans will be termed as “uncompromising partisanship” while Democrats will be “holding to principle.”

And please please please, never refer to an elected official as “shooting his/her mouth off” in light of recent events.

We apologize for saying that Sarah Palin was “under fire” for her crosshairs target map—but she deserved it.

“Point and shoot” cameras will not be advertised on our network, we are reviewing whether “point and click” is acceptable.

“Shoot” is not longer an acceptable exclamation in dramatic series television. We are cable, so we can just say “Shit!”

Track events at the next Goodwill Games will start with a checkered flag, not a gun.

Voiceovers on all ads for Target stores will be changed to pronounce the stores’ name, “Tar-zhay”

We are considering whether Scope must change its name to advertise with us, but ads which say the product “targets” the germs that cause bad breath will no longer be accepted.

The American Indian Movement will no longer be referred to as AIM.

Movies that fail spectacularly at the box office, will no longer be referred to as “bombs.”

Quibbling between groups or individuals will no longer be referred to as “sniping”

Anchorman Greg Hunter will be referred to on the air as “Greg H”, or “the G Man” while Wolf Blitzer will just be called “Wolfie.”

No employee of Turner networks will say that Paul Krugman and Jonathan Alter’s columns after Tuscon were examples of “shoot first and ask questions later.”

Please stay tuned for updates on this list. Thank you for your disarming professionalism during these times.

http://www.newsrealblog.com/2011/01/20/1-49/

Re: Examples of "encouraging" - 01/21/11 05:23 AM

BOOYAH

Re: Examples of "encouraging" - 01/21/11 06:47 AM

smile

Re: Sign of things to come? - 02/14/22 11:26 PM

The NYT did screw Palin.

Re: Sign of things to come? - 02/14/22 11:27 PM

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/02/14/palin-new-york-times-judge-ruling-00008719