Christians for Trump

Posted by: Stash

Christians for Trump - 11/27/16 07:20 AM

Seriously, How did this happen? I know a lot of Christians. And most of them are smart people... deluded, but intelligent. How could Christians fall for this charlatan?
Posted by: Bogus_bill

Re: Christians for Trump - 11/27/16 07:51 PM

I bet every one of us who voted for Clinton is wondering that. He does not have much of what Christians value. Some think that they are electing a Supreme Court, especially targeting abortion. I have a brother who was voting against Obama as much as against Clinton. He is not a strong Christian but was raised in a Christian household and one would think the things learned there would have stopped his vote for Trump.

Outside of Christians what I heard was: It doesn't matter. We have to change the stuff happening in our government. Trump is our only chance.
Posted by: Brit

Re: Christians for Trump - 11/27/16 11:55 PM

"Outside of Christians what I heard was: It doesn't matter. We have to change the stuff happening in our government. Trump is our only chance."

I believe you have hit the nail on the head. It was not so much a vote for Trump but a vote against the establishment, against the direction the country was heading, and against the leaders of both political parties. It will remain to be seen what change actually occurs, but perhaps Trump wil make a leak in the sewer that has fostered our politicians for years and years. The "fly over" States finally had had enough and voted accordingly. The two coasts find it hard to understand, but change is desperately needed and Trump, as an outsider, was their only hope. I would like to think the country will come together and give him a fighting chance to succeed, but it will be a monumental struggle.

Re: Christians for Trump - 11/28/16 01:51 AM

Originally Posted By: Brit
but a vote ... against the direction the country was heading

What "direction" do we need to change? And, do they really think Trump's direction... whatever that is... will be better for America?

Re: Christians for Trump - 11/28/16 04:06 AM

Quote:
What "direction" do we need to change? And, do they really think Trump's direction... whatever that is... will be better for America?

Congress is owned by special interests so if we have a president outside the powerbrokers he will ??? not thought through, IMHO.

Anti Obama, Hillary & the Democrats will continue the same policies ??? Like making our country rebound from a financial crisis? You can't buy 22 shells anymore because of Obama??? Obama is stirring up racial hatred ???? These anti-Obama reasons go on and on.

I don't see where any of it makes sense but, then again, I voted for Clinton.

Re: Christians for Trump - 11/28/16 05:37 AM

Originally Posted By: Bogus_bill
Congress is owned by special interests

And Trump is his own "special interest.

I don't get it. If the Republic survives, and I suspect it will, it will be an interesting show. When will the current Trumpettes turn on him and realize they were duped? There ought to be a board somewhere I can buy a couple squares. I'm guessing within 9 months.
Posted by: Brit

Re: Christians for Trump - 11/28/16 06:41 AM

Originally Posted By: Bogus_bill
Quote:

Congress is owned by special interests so if we have a president outside the powerbrokers he will ??? not thought through, IMHO.

Anti Obama, Hillary & the Democrats will continue the same policies ??? Like making our country rebound from a financial crisis? You can't buy 22 shells anymore because of Obama??? Obama is stirring up racial hatred ???? These anti-Obama reasons go on and on.

I don't see where any of it makes sense but, then again, I voted for Clinton.

When poll after poll prior to the election said 77% of the people thought the country was moving in the wrong direction it was a bit surprising the election was even close. The "choice" was between voting for the "establishment" contender or voting for an "outsider" who was not a politician.

I think the comments about Congress being owned by special interests is only partially correct. I believe both major political parties are two sides of the same coin and that party leaders are the ones who first are approached by major corporations, by major labor unions and by major special interest groups who give their monetary support in exchange for favorable attention from Congress AND from the President. This has been going on for a very long time and it has given the major party leaders extreme power to keep their elected party members under their control.
In my opinion a variety of changes must occur. Term limits must be set in place. Court decisions must be changed so that money does not represent speech and corporations are not people. Race relations are getting worse, and that needs attention. Celebrating cops being murdered is not anything that should be cheered about by anyone, and cops unnecessarily killing "suspects" is abhorrent and must be dealt with within the judicial system and not tried daily in the newspapers. Also our borders must be protected from all those who would attempt to enter our country without proper permission, and those determined to be in our country without proper permission should be removed.
The national debt in this country is at a level that has increased at an alarming rate to nearly 20 trillion dollars. That is another high priority that must be addressed. We absolutely must stop spending money we don't have. We should quit acting as though we are the world's policemen and that we know what is best for other countries and what they should or should not be doing. We really have no need to have our military spread all over the world. Bring them home and save billions of dollars yearly.
How Trump plans to proceed is really an unknown, but I do have hope that he is able to at least make progress in some of these areas.
Posted by: mdean

Re: Christians for Trump - 11/29/16 07:52 PM

I had to ask the same question. Not so much for every christian who voted for Trump, because I know some who did without trying to justify it with the bible. For me, that's the difference. It's the ones who said Trump was God's chosen, the answer to their prayers that have me scratching my head. To pretend Trump's platform resembles that of Jesus is hilarious. I can only assume we've read about different guys named Jesus.

Good luck convincing anyone they were conned, but I completely agree with you.

Here's the unintended consequences of the evangelical vote. They can no longer claim moral high ground. They rolled over on their own standards. There was no grilling Donald on his faith, only a vain attempt to assimilate him into faith for political gain. And he's chameleon enough to know when it pays to change colors. So, he played along. But that answer to their prayers is now their new standard bearer.

How do they turn around in 4 years and insist on a person of strong religious conviction and faith? They've already shown that's optional. Can't stuff that genie back in the bottle. It may actually be a step in the direction toward less religious influence in government.
Posted by: ikayak

Re: Christians for Trump - 11/30/16 04:54 AM

Oh stop. The evangelicals can claim (and own) the moral high ground on the Republican Party platform on abortion vs the Dem platform, alone. We weren't electing a grand high poobah of US Christianity, we were electing a president to (hopefully) faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and to the best of his ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.

No Christian I know who voted for Trump thinks he's any less (or more) of an imperfect resemblance of Jesus and His teachings than are the rest of us sinners who claim Christ's blood, grace, and gift of salvation. Stop it with the smug broad brush condescension of the brethren. Smh.

Re: Christians for Trump - 11/30/16 05:38 AM

Methinks the lady doth protest too much. wink

Re: Christians for Trump - 11/30/16 06:59 AM

And all "your" smug condescension lost "you" the election. So on second thought, you and Mike go right ahead and keep it up, slow learners.

Re: Christians for Trump - 11/30/16 08:35 PM

Originally Posted By: ikayak

Stop it with the smug broad brush....

Originally Posted By: mdean

Not so much for every christian who voted for Trump, because I know some who did without trying to justify it with the bible.

Re: Christians for Trump - 11/30/16 09:06 PM

Originally Posted By: ikayak

Stop it with the smug broad brush....

Not so much for every christian who voted for Trump, because I know some who did without trying to justify it with the bible.

Here's the unintended consequences of the evangelical vote. They can no longer claim moral high ground. They rolled over on their own standards. There was no grilling Donald on his faith, only a vain attempt to assimilate him into faith for political gain. And he's chameleon enough to know when it pays to change colors. So, he played along. But that answer to their prayers is now their new standard bearer.

Re: Christians for Trump - 11/30/16 11:25 PM

You tell me, which part of Trump's platform most closely resembles Jesus? Is it turning away refugees? Is it the pee test before feeding? Is it his care for the meek? The poor?

Is it everyone paying their own fair share of taxes, including himself? Oh, wait. We know it's not that.

Maybe it's the torture? Jesus was big on waterboarding.

It's probably the way he plans to treat "the least of these."

You tell me. Please. For the group who typically votes for the candidate that most represents their faith to have picked the one that says they've never asked forgiveness, don't see the need, but happily admit to coming prepared for sexual assault... well, it does bring up a few questions. But I'm sure you can answer them, so you tell me. What part of the obnoxious p*ssy-grabber do you find most like Jesus?

You know what I see? A case of a rich man trying to squeeze his fat ass through the eye of a needle, and his cherry-picking apologists lubing his hips with excuses.

And yes, that last group is lumped together, but they are not to be confused with the honest church-goers who had to hold their nose and vote, or who genuinely believe Trump is the right guy, or who just want to shake stuff up. They aren't trying to wrap their vote in a bible, which was made clear in my first post.

Re: Christians for Trump - 11/30/16 11:52 PM

Quote:
And yes, that last group is lumped together

My point exactly. And so what that/if some Christians believe that their prayers of a new, better direction for this country were answered with Trump's election? Why so condescending, judgmental, and arrogant toward the brethren? Get back to me when your own thoughts, words, deeds, and prayers are in perfect alignment with the Almighty and His will.

Re: Christians for Trump - 12/01/16 12:22 AM

That's it, keep that goalpost mobile. It's not enough that you don't even attempt to answer my question, and can't differentiate between groups, you just re-issue a vague challenge as though its your own, complete with a qualifier that you can dismiss if you don't like the results.

"Get back to me when your own thoughts, words, deeds, and prayers are in perfect alignment with the Almighty and His will."

Such demanding standards for Internet chat. Much higher than you require of a president.

Re: Christians for Trump - 12/01/16 02:00 AM

You're all about differentiating between groups, aren't you? So which "groups" do you want divided out now? The Christians you know and approve of (or tolerate) because they meet your standard of finding Trump sorely lacking in the holy sanctification process but voted for him anyway with reasons you're willing to excuse...vs...which other group-s?...the Christian "deplorables"?...the "bitter clingers"?...the "hypocritical bible thumpers for Trump"..."THOOOOOSE CHRISTIANS" you don't hang with and don't care to know?

Luke 18:11 "Oh God, I thank You that I'm not like THOOOOOSE Christians who voted for Trump", right Mike?...because HRC is soooooo much more Christ-like, right?

So which platform most resembles Jesus? The Republican Platform, hands down, on the sanctity and protection of human life, you know, the human life created in the image of God, the human life God knits together in the womb, the human life that He has known from before the foundation of the world. That platform.

Roman 13:1-2. Boom.

Re: Christians for Trump - 12/01/16 03:03 AM

No.

You're refusing to see the point. Or unable, I don't know which. God knows you've blown your own horn enough to leave the impression you're smart enough to get it. And yet...

Re: Christians for Trump - 12/01/16 03:26 AM

Good try at deflection, however, you're still wrong, and still sounding very sanctimonious. Contrary to your assertion, evangelicals conceded no moral ground voting for Trump, especially compared to the other candidate-s who think it's hunky dory to kill innocent human beings in the womb, even unquestionably "viable" ones. The evangelicals who conceded moral ground are the ones who voted for one of the other top three tickets who think it's perfectly acceptable to deny the God given right to life to our most innocent and vulnerable...truly the least among us.

Re: Christians for Trump - 12/01/16 09:30 PM

Quote:
You're all about differentiating between groups, aren't you? So which "groups" do you want divided out now? The Christians you know and approve of (or tolerate) because they meet your standard of finding Trump sorely lacking in the holy sanctification process but voted for him anyway with reasons you're willing to excuse...vs...which other group-s?...the Christian "deplorables"?...the "bitter clingers"?...the "hypocritical bible thumpers for Trump"..."THOOOOOSE CHRISTIANS" you don't hang with and don't care to know?

Why do you think Trump is going to nominate someone who is truly and, by necessity, secretly anti-abortion? I say secretly because nominating and getting a racist through the congress are different things. The past shows making a Justice out of a person with extreme positions to be a hard thing to do. Their records are examined and reexamined. A Republican Justice? Republicans don't want this known but the majority of the justices that decided Roe vs. Wade were nominated by Republican presidents. Who knew, right?

You mix so much stuff up. Nowhere did Hillary define which people were 'deplorable'. When she misspoke I believe most of us identified the deplorables as those who were racists ( a far bigger number than just white supremacists), those who were sexist and those who spread lies. She also said HALF and whether they are half the total Republicans or a lesser amount is a guess. If the subjective you identify yourself in that group or not is up to you.

Face it: Trump is one of those deplorables. Not a sexist, you say? Racist? You voted for him. A liar who can be shown to do anything to be elected says he will nominate a someone or someones who will overturn Roe vs. Wade and you believe it.

Re: Christians for Trump - 12/02/16 04:35 AM

change racist to anti-abortion. Too little sleep.
Posted by: Thumper

Re: Christians for Trump - 12/07/16 09:29 AM

Christians for Trump

vs

Christians for Clinton

Both flawed candidates, so the questions is which one will by winning the election, will further your beliefs?

Abortion is one issue, a big one.

Re: Christians for Trump - 12/07/16 09:08 PM

It's not government's job to further your beliefs.

My suspicion is that Trump's conviction over abortion runs about as deep as his desire to prosecute Hillary.

Re: Christians for Trump - 12/07/16 09:14 PM

Quote:
Abortion is one issue, a big one.

Seven out of ten Americans support the right to choose and only 10 percent want it outlawed without exceptions and politicians usually respond to voters.

Good justices usually stick with precedent if there no legal reason to do so. Then there is the vetting process in Congress. Even if a wildcat nominee was chosen by Trump the odds of him getting confirmed is about zero.

I used to vote with this issue as a key one but no more. It is wasting a vote if all you can get out of it is lip service that a candidate opposes abortion. Move on to the other issues.

Re: Christians for Trump - 12/08/16 07:05 AM

[b][/b]No it is not the government's job, but it also is not it's job to cut them off.

To me, life begins at conception and every life matters.

Re: Christians for Trump - 12/08/16 07:06 AM

7 out of 10 can be wrong.

Re: Christians for Trump - 12/11/16 04:05 AM

Originally Posted By: Thumper
No it is not the government's job, but it also is not it's job to cut them off.

To me, life begins at conception and every life matters.

Trump said, "There needs to be some punishment. Yes, for the woman."

What say you regarding punishment? For the woman? For the doctor? For the man who impregnated her?

Re: Christians for Trump - 12/11/16 06:17 AM

Ending a life is big deal.

Punishment, I don't know, neither did Trump. He later said it should be left up to the states.

Re: Christians for Trump - 12/12/16 05:01 AM

Quote:
7 out of 10 can be wrong.

Sure they can but they are a political force that politicians are not wanting to go against. Besides, the statement was that no president is going to be able to get an appointment through of a judge that bucks the system for the position of Supreme Court Judge. Therefore, if that is what you only want out of a president, you need to move on to other criteria.

Re: Christians for Trump - 12/12/16 05:30 PM

Ending a life is big deal.

Punishment, I don't know, neither did Trump. He later said it should be left up to the states.

For the woman? The doctor? The man?

Silly.

Re: Christians for Trump - 12/13/16 12:03 AM

You know, I have not spent much time on reasons to vote for Trump.

Didn't like Clinton much.

But, living in Washington State, I also knew my vote did not count, WA was going to Clinton.

Re: Christians for Trump - 12/13/16 05:40 PM

I've heard a bit of buyer's remorse from some Trump voters in other states who were protesting but assumed he would never win so thought it would do no harm.

Re: Christians for Trump - 12/13/16 08:41 PM

Reminds me of a bit Eddie Murphy did on Delirious, back in the day, about voting for Jesse Jackson.

Re: Christians for Trump - 12/14/16 08:47 AM

No buyer's remorse for me. I knew my vote would not make difference.

Re: Christians for Trump - 12/14/16 05:54 PM

No buyer's remorse for me. I knew my vote would not make difference.

I understand. I also understand there were some (I don't know if there would have been enough to alter the results) who, like you, "knew" their vote would make no difference and were quite surprised when the Know-Nothing won.

Re: Christians for Trump - 12/14/16 09:49 PM

If I was living in a battleground state, I think I would have known that this vote could matter.

But, yes, the results did surprise me.

Re: Christians for Trump - 09/30/18 12:22 AM

Voting for president for is one of the least significant votes you do. Your vote has mattered ever, if you lived in Washington State.