Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#75840 - 11/27/16 07:20 AM Christians for Trump
Stash Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: State of Euphoria
Seriously, How did this happen? I know a lot of Christians. And most of them are smart people... deluded, but intelligent. How could Christians fall for this charlatan?

#75841 - 11/27/16 07:51 PM Re: Christians for Trump [Re: Stash]
Bogus_bill Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: SMA Mexico
I bet every one of us who voted for Clinton is wondering that. He does not have much of what Christians value. Some think that they are electing a Supreme Court, especially targeting abortion. I have a brother who was voting against Obama as much as against Clinton. He is not a strong Christian but was raised in a Christian household and one would think the things learned there would have stopped his vote for Trump.

Outside of Christians what I heard was: It doesn't matter. We have to change the stuff happening in our government. Trump is our only chance.

#75842 - 11/27/16 11:55 PM Re: Christians for Trump [Re: Bogus_bill]
Brit Offline
veteran

"Outside of Christians what I heard was: It doesn't matter. We have to change the stuff happening in our government. Trump is our only chance."

I believe you have hit the nail on the head. It was not so much a vote for Trump but a vote against the establishment, against the direction the country was heading, and against the leaders of both political parties. It will remain to be seen what change actually occurs, but perhaps Trump wil make a leak in the sewer that has fostered our politicians for years and years. The "fly over" States finally had had enough and voted accordingly. The two coasts find it hard to understand, but change is desperately needed and Trump, as an outsider, was their only hope. I would like to think the country will come together and give him a fighting chance to succeed, but it will be a monumental struggle.

#75843 - 11/28/16 01:51 AM Re: Christians for Trump [Re: Brit]
Stash Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Brit
but a vote ... against the direction the country was heading

What "direction" do we need to change? And, do they really think Trump's direction... whatever that is... will be better for America?

#75844 - 11/28/16 04:06 AM Re: Christians for Trump [Re: Stash]
Bogus_bill Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: SMA Mexico
Quote:
What "direction" do we need to change? And, do they really think Trump's direction... whatever that is... will be better for America?

Congress is owned by special interests so if we have a president outside the powerbrokers he will ??? not thought through, IMHO.

Anti Obama, Hillary & the Democrats will continue the same policies ??? Like making our country rebound from a financial crisis? You can't buy 22 shells anymore because of Obama??? Obama is stirring up racial hatred ???? These anti-Obama reasons go on and on.

I don't see where any of it makes sense but, then again, I voted for Clinton.

#75845 - 11/28/16 05:37 AM Re: Christians for Trump [Re: Bogus_bill]
Stash Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Bogus_bill
Congress is owned by special interests

And Trump is his own "special interest.

I don't get it. If the Republic survives, and I suspect it will, it will be an interesting show. When will the current Trumpettes turn on him and realize they were duped? There ought to be a board somewhere I can buy a couple squares. I'm guessing within 9 months.

#75846 - 11/28/16 06:41 AM Re: Christians for Trump [Re: Bogus_bill]
Brit Offline
veteran

Originally Posted By: Bogus_bill
Quote:

Congress is owned by special interests so if we have a president outside the powerbrokers he will ??? not thought through, IMHO.

Anti Obama, Hillary & the Democrats will continue the same policies ??? Like making our country rebound from a financial crisis? You can't buy 22 shells anymore because of Obama??? Obama is stirring up racial hatred ???? These anti-Obama reasons go on and on.

I don't see where any of it makes sense but, then again, I voted for Clinton.

When poll after poll prior to the election said 77% of the people thought the country was moving in the wrong direction it was a bit surprising the election was even close. The "choice" was between voting for the "establishment" contender or voting for an "outsider" who was not a politician.

I think the comments about Congress being owned by special interests is only partially correct. I believe both major political parties are two sides of the same coin and that party leaders are the ones who first are approached by major corporations, by major labor unions and by major special interest groups who give their monetary support in exchange for favorable attention from Congress AND from the President. This has been going on for a very long time and it has given the major party leaders extreme power to keep their elected party members under their control.
In my opinion a variety of changes must occur. Term limits must be set in place. Court decisions must be changed so that money does not represent speech and corporations are not people. Race relations are getting worse, and that needs attention. Celebrating cops being murdered is not anything that should be cheered about by anyone, and cops unnecessarily killing "suspects" is abhorrent and must be dealt with within the judicial system and not tried daily in the newspapers. Also our borders must be protected from all those who would attempt to enter our country without proper permission, and those determined to be in our country without proper permission should be removed.
The national debt in this country is at a level that has increased at an alarming rate to nearly 20 trillion dollars. That is another high priority that must be addressed. We absolutely must stop spending money we don't have. We should quit acting as though we are the world's policemen and that we know what is best for other countries and what they should or should not be doing. We really have no need to have our military spread all over the world. Bring them home and save billions of dollars yearly.
How Trump plans to proceed is really an unknown, but I do have hope that he is able to at least make progress in some of these areas.

#75850 - 11/29/16 07:52 PM Re: Christians for Trump [Re: Stash]
mdean Offline
veteran

Loc: Grays Harbor
I had to ask the same question. Not so much for every christian who voted for Trump, because I know some who did without trying to justify it with the bible. For me, that's the difference. It's the ones who said Trump was God's chosen, the answer to their prayers that have me scratching my head. To pretend Trump's platform resembles that of Jesus is hilarious. I can only assume we've read about different guys named Jesus.

Good luck convincing anyone they were conned, but I completely agree with you.

Here's the unintended consequences of the evangelical vote. They can no longer claim moral high ground. They rolled over on their own standards. There was no grilling Donald on his faith, only a vain attempt to assimilate him into faith for political gain. And he's chameleon enough to know when it pays to change colors. So, he played along. But that answer to their prayers is now their new standard bearer.

How do they turn around in 4 years and insist on a person of strong religious conviction and faith? They've already shown that's optional. Can't stuff that genie back in the bottle. It may actually be a step in the direction toward less religious influence in government.

#75852 - 11/30/16 04:54 AM Re: Christians for Trump [Re: mdean]
ikayak Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Oh stop. The evangelicals can claim (and own) the moral high ground on the Republican Party platform on abortion vs the Dem platform, alone. We weren't electing a grand high poobah of US Christianity, we were electing a president to (hopefully) faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and to the best of his ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.

No Christian I know who voted for Trump thinks he's any less (or more) of an imperfect resemblance of Jesus and His teachings than are the rest of us sinners who claim Christ's blood, grace, and gift of salvation. Stop it with the smug broad brush condescension of the brethren. Smh.

Which allows for some "big things".

Self-admitted Liar in Chief:

#75855 - 11/30/16 05:38 AM Re: Christians for Trump [Re: ikayak]
Stash Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Methinks the lady doth protest too much. wink

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Who's Online
0 Registered (), 12 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Ads
Shout Box

Newest Members
michaeia, Bardesh23, MaryOkelley, Dan Jones, Eventrou
725 Registered Users
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27