Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#75811 - 11/01/16 03:44 AM Re: The Homeless in Aberdeen [Re: mdean]
Stash Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: State of Euphoria
Originally Posted By: mdean
I guess it was a bad idea.

http://www.npr.org/2015/12/10/459100751/utah-reduced-chronic-homelessness-by-91-percent-heres-how

I don't think it was a bad idea at all. Education is cheaper than prisons. Providing shelter, a hair cut and shave, bathing and bathroom facilities is less costly than the cynicism fostered by the ugliness and despair on our city streets.

Granted drugs and alcohol are a big part of the problem... but, those can be dealt with as well. I remember reading about people on the street for simply bad luck and/or non-drug/alcohol reasons... loss of a job, divorce, felony record, really bad business deals, etc.

Suddenly they have no address and no place to bathe or wash their clothes. Employment becomes more difficult and spiral continues downward.

It seems one unnecessary nuke could pay for most of them... or an unnecessary war plane the Air Force didn't want. Or a mega farm subsidy or a Donald Trump tax payment. wink

#75812 - 11/01/16 06:23 PM Re: The Homeless in Aberdeen [Re: Wally B]
Bogus_bill Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: SMA Mexico
Quote:
And acceptance helps ... how? I'm reading that half of Mexico's population lives in poverty, 10% lives in extreme poverty, that 15,000 "feral" children are homeless in Mexico City.

You're there, I'm not. Are these reports accurate?

It is hard to tell from my house how Mexico stacks up as a whole. Mexico City has vast slums. The farming states further south have a lot of poverty. In my area we are seeing billions of dollars worth of automobile plants being built and making cars. If you look around you see a similar distribution of new cars with a few older ones that you see in Aberdeen.

What I meant, though, is that a wealthier man does not speak down to a poor man. They are accepted. There are a lot of them. A good example is we say good day to every person we meet, rich or poor. That is Mexican culture. The guy under Swanson's awning I avoid. Same with the folks with camping backpacks downtown Aberdeen.

Acceptance is important. It is important to feel good about yourself. The poor occupy a harsh enough world anyway without feeling inferior to the people with a bit more money. The newly prosperous are only a step away from being poor once more and they realize it. The poor are just there, a significant portion of Mexico but have their pride.

Quote:
We're in a world of hurt.

Aren't we?

#75813 - 11/02/16 07:58 PM Re: The Homeless in Aberdeen [Re: Bogus_bill]
Thumper Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: I'm in a blue state.
First, who are the homeless? Why are they homeless?

Lost their jobs?
Mentally ill?
Drugs?
Their apartment caught on fire?

Each person requires different a solution. Jobs will help some.
The mentally ill need help that requires more than a job.
People with a drug problem, dry them out sometimes that works.
Affordable housing would help some also.

#75835 - 11/24/16 01:12 AM Re: The Homeless in Aberdeen [Re: Thumper]
Bogus_bill Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I am seeing two types of homeless, the ones living on the street and the others are the ones living in their vans or cars. If you go to Walmart you probably will see one or two in their parking lot. There was one of these at Michaels Meats. I own an empty lot behind and I told the guy he could park there on the condition that there is only one van and it the property is kept clean. The guy owns two old vans but he kept one in the street. Immediately the neighbors called the police and they talked to us. He had permission so they let him stay. I think they were being kind because I have heard that Hoquiam was pretty active trying to stop that kind of thing.

This guy is clean cut, speaks well and polite. I wonder what problems got him to this point.

Two vans were on the property today and a pile of tubing he scavenged up from somewhere. I asked him to move. We are going back to Mexico to get out of this rain and unchecked the pile of stuff will grow. I suggested it and he moved to the lot next to ours. All of this was so normal to him, no argument. He probably gets chased out of a lot of places.

From the time I met him I have felt horrible about his circumstances. If you met him in some other setting, you would never guess he was homeless. Our towns are full of folks like him which are what prompted me to start this topic.

We will head back to our southern home where there will be more homeless. The problem exists everywhere I have traveled but Aberdeen seems to be attracting more than their share. It is sad both for our community and the homeless both.

#75836 - 11/24/16 02:07 AM Re: The Homeless in Aberdeen [Re: Bogus_bill]
Thumper Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: I'm in a blue state.
Quote:
This guy is clean cut, speaks well and polite. I wonder what problems got him to this point.

Ever ask him what happen?

#75837 - 11/24/16 07:45 AM Re: The Homeless in Aberdeen [Re: Thumper]
Bogus_bill Offline
Carpal Tunnel

No, I did not talk to him about his past. We offered him a spot to park for a few months, no more contact. He might just be down on his luck or he could be a released convict or worse. East Wishkah gets a lot of undesirables, especially sex offenders. He behaved himself and that was enough. If we were not going back to Mexico, I would have had no problem letting him stay there just on the strength of his behavior.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 Registered (), 21 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Ads
Shout Box

Newest Members
michaeia, Bardesh23, MaryOkelley, Dan Jones, Eventrou
725 Registered Users
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23