Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#36354 - 07/18/11 09:52 PM Re: The rules. PLEASE READ! [Re: Too Tired]
Bogus_bill Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: SMA Mexico
I understand what you are trying to say but I have yet to find any place on the Internet that you can state an opinion and someone else will not respond with some kind of attack. It is sad but it is the way people are. Especially when they are anonymous which is like making a crank call from a pay phone.

But anonymous is nice as well. When you are anonymous you can take a stand on unpopular issues that are bound to be flamed but who cares? You are anonymous! There is quite a freedom there. No faces are associated with the comments. Feel free to stake out your online persona (which needn't be your real one).

I started participating in online discussions when all there was was BBS's. We used our own names then and even then flame wars broke out. I am convinced that unless you are in the room or know where the person lives and can punch the person in the nose, people will be rude.

These forums actually were started to be friendly with a Flame section for name calling and rudeness. You have to remember though the two things you cannot discuss in a friendly way: politics and religion. Rudeness spills over into them.

Welcome aboard and don't be timid.

#36355 - 07/18/11 10:16 PM Re: The rules. PLEASE READ! [Re: Bogus_bill]
mdean Offline
veteran

Loc: Grays Harbor
I don't say anything to anyone on here that I wouldn't say to them face to face. That's my rule of thumb. I guess that means I'm sometimes a little caustic in person, too. My friends won't believe it! wink

#36356 - 07/18/11 10:40 PM Re: The rules. PLEASE READ! [Re: mdean]
Stash Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: State of Euphoria
Originally Posted By: mdean
I don't say anything to anyone on here that I wouldn't say to them face to face. That's my rule of thumb. I guess that means I'm sometimes a little caustic in person, too. My friends won't believe it! wink

I, too, try to follow that rule. I know I fail from time to time. But, it's still a good rule. As you know, I can be caustic in person, but try to be civil most of the time. An expectation I have always expected from myself and the Customer Service folk in any entity in which I was involved was: Don't let any individual leave with any less dignity than they brought into the encounter and more whenever possible. Some people are just absolute jerks and bring no dignity or self-respect into an encounter. I was told on the radio the other day that I told someone to shut up during a meeting. I don't think I did, but if true, there is no individual who would deserve it more than that one.

#37826 - 09/10/11 06:18 AM Re: The rules. PLEASE READ! [Re: ghtalk_mod]
aektsuke01 Offline
stranger

Wow...That good. Thanks for sharing.
&#3612;&#3621;&#3610;&#3629;&#3621;-sbobet

#44031 - 04/30/12 02:38 PM Re: The rules. PLEASE READ! [Re: ghtalk_mod]
Hairball Offline

Originally Posted By: ghtalk_mod
Hi all,
"We're champions of free speech and we enjoy a good debate as much as anyone."

I agree, but apparently some more than others. Geez, the first thing I posted in this forum got a certain Beavis guy all riled up. I'm not here to make enemies. And in my many years in various forums (car, motorcycle, photography, car electronics and more) I've never got anyone going as much as my simple post about the Watchman. I agree, forums are a great place for a debate. But sometimes we need to just let it go and move on. If we don't agree with something someone posts, that's normal and expected. But to go on and on and on with unintelligible rambling gibberish in replies to so many posts can tend to get downright annoying after a while. If someone makes sense, or has something constructive to say, that's cool. But to drag it through the mud for days just shows that some folks pray on those of us who mean no harm by what we post and/or are only trying to add some harmless input.

I must say, I was happy to find this forum! Having recently moved back to Aberdeen, I was glad to find an online forum where I can keep up with the local happenings or interesting topics of discussion around the Harbor.

Thank you so much to whomever started this forum! Your idea was great! This is just what we need for this area. I'm learning a lot in this site, and appreciate some of what I've been reading. I did, however, learn a valuable lesson really fast: watch what you post, because there are members who will dissect no matter what topic you reply to. It's part of life in online forums, but not really appreciated all that much. It gets old really fast.

#44036 - 04/30/12 03:48 PM Re: The rules. PLEASE READ! [Re: Hairball]
Beavis H. Christ Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Heaven. Yeah, cool.
Originally Posted By: Hairball
Geez, the first thing I posted in this forum got a certain Beavis guy all riled up. I'm not here to make enemies.

Don't introduce yourself by calling someone a liar, then.

If that's what you consider "riled up," you must live a sheltered life indeed. For the record I do not consider anyone an "enemy" based on what is posted here.

#44037 - 04/30/12 03:52 PM Re: The rules. PLEASE READ! [Re: Hairball]
Stash Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: State of Euphoria
The phrases "We're champions of free speech and we enjoy a good dbate as much as anyone." and, "the first think I posted in this forum got a certain Beavis guy all riled up." do not contradict one another.

Good for you for joining the forum and posting. Good for you for stirring up a vigorous discussion.

#44038 - 04/30/12 04:03 PM Re: The rules. PLEASE READ! [Re: Stash]
Hairball Offline

Okay, Beavis, I apologized. Of course I never did mention the word "liar" anywhere in my posts, but apparently when I post a link to State laws relating to privacy, that means I think you're a liar. Well it doesn't. It simply means I found your claims to be pretty impossible to believe. And apparently I wasn't alone.

As for leading a sheltered life, you're probably right. I shelter myself from haters who call me a coward and a waste of bandwidth. People who having nothing better to do than hang out in a forum 24/7 and contradict every freaking thing I post. Yes, I live a sheltered life. But at least I make sense when I post in forums.

So apparently being a member of this forum means being subjected to rebuttals and debates by you. Well, guess that's why they make Ignore User feature. You can call it sticking my fingers in my ears, but I call it not caring about anything you post, especially when it drags on for days until others agree with me and you don't like it so you start to slam me. You already have me not wanting to post anything for fear of how you will respond, and apparently you WILL respond. Seems you have nothing better to do.

Talk about a sheltered life...

#44043 - 04/30/12 05:27 PM Re: The rules. PLEASE READ! [Re: Hairball]
Beavis H. Christ Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Heaven. Yeah, cool.
Okay, Beavis, I apologized. Of course I never did mention the word "liar" anywhere in my posts...It simply means I found your claims to be pretty impossible to believe. And apparently I wasn't alone.

"Beavis, I didn't say you're a liar, I just find you impossible to believe."

Nice.

Here's the elaboration I posted in the original thread, in case you missed it:

Quote:
"I'm not defending her, but it wasn't like she ran up to me on the street and said "Hey, wanna hear about the Watchman?" It was in the context of a longer and more involved discussion, and as I recall the way it came up was in the context of people being kind of afraid of Victor because of all the wild stories. So I mention the diving thing, and the watches (at the time Victor used to wear three or four of them) and she sort of shook her head sadly at the kinds of wild stories people come up with, and told me about the meds and the OCD thing, I think with the idea that maybe if people had a better idea of the truth they wouldn't be afraid of him.

I'm not saying that was right of her to do, but I believe her motivations came from the right place. Of course we all know what the road to hell is paved with."

So apparently being a member of this forum means being subjected to rebuttals and debates by you.

How about calming down and accepting the notion that this is a discussion board...where people discuss things?

All I did was say you were mistaken about something. You continue to insist that I made it all up and "attacked," when all i did was relate the story I heard from a person I consider a reliable source. I didn't call you names--at least not until you started insisting, over and over again, that I was lying.

I've got no beef with you. Calm down, stop insulting me over and over again, and join in our reindeer games. Nobody here, including me, is out to get you.

Seems you have nothing better to do.

Well, you didn't have to take me off "ignore" either, you know. I'm glad you did, because we can always use a fresh voice around here--ikayak's been holding down the far right-wing fundamentalist Christian end of the spectrum all by herself for quite a while now. grin

#44112 - 05/01/12 05:18 PM Re: The rules. PLEASE READ! [Re: ghtalk_mod]
Hairball Offline

2 things I've noticed (not sure if good or bad): This is one of the few online forums without an "Introductions" thread where newbies introduce themselves. No, I don't want to start one! LOL! Just noticing things. The other thing I notice a lot is how many Guests are always here reading compared to how few Registered members are logged in. Just observations, nothing more. I can only say I'm thankful enough just to have a local forum for this area.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Who's Online
0 Registered (), 21 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Ads
Shout Box

Newest Members
michaeia, Bardesh23, MaryOkelley, Dan Jones, Eventrou
725 Registered Users
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23