Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#33121 - 01/11/11 05:19 PM Re: Sign of things to come? [Re: Thumper]
Lumberjack Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Thumper
Why, because complaining now is like closing the barn doors after the cows get out.

The shooting this weekend was the first cow. It's imperative that the barn doors get shut now.

#33122 - 01/11/11 05:24 PM Re: Sign of things to come? [Re: Thumper]
mdean Offline
veteran

Loc: Grays Harbor
Why, because complaining now is like closing the barn doors after the cows get out.

Hmm... I guess I didn't see it as complaining as much as just commenting. Like, "Yeah she left the barn door open, what was she expecting!" That sort of thing.

But I will try to stay more indoctrinated with propaganda symbolism so I am qualified to comment in the future. Thanks for the heads up. wink

#33123 - 01/11/11 05:46 PM Re: Sign of things to come? [Re: mdean]
Thumper Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: I'm in a blue state.
Question for me is, would Mike still have said the same thing about the map if the shootings didn't happen?

As I pointed out Palin was not the first to use targets on maps regarding political opponents. Complaining now will not change the past.

We do not yet know why Loughner shot the Congress woman and all the rest. He had met and spoke with her in 2007, and at that time said she was a fake.

The crosshairs are an easy target to say they cause Loughner to start shooting, but no one knows why yet.

If you outlaw crosshairs, what will be next?

#33124 - 01/11/11 05:49 PM Re: Sign of things to come? [Re: Thumper]
Beavis H. Christ Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Heaven. Yeah, cool.
As I pointed out Palin was not the first to use targets on maps regarding political opponents.

Thumper, your "democratic example" didn't use actual gunsight crosshairs, did it? Palin is indeed the one who put actual gunsight crosshairs on her map. There is a difference between a target and the sights of a firearm.

Edited by Beavis H. Christ (01/11/11 05:49 PM)

#33127 - 01/11/11 05:59 PM Re: Sign of things to come? [Re: Beavis H. Christ]
Thumper Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Tomato, Tomato.

#33128 - 01/11/11 06:44 PM Re: Sign of things to come? [Re: Beavis H. Christ]
Bogus_bill Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: SMA Mexico
Quote:
“We never ever, ever intended it to be gun sights. It was simply cross hairs like you’d see on maps,” Palin said.

I don't like Sarah Palin and because of that it would be convenient if a case could be made that her cross hairs perpetuated this tragedy. However, I gotta go with Thumper on this one. The symbolism looks lousy but I don't believe that in any way she meant cross hairs to have anything to do with actual guns.

#33129 - 01/11/11 06:46 PM Re: Sign of things to come? [Re: Thumper]
Beavis H. Christ Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Heaven. Yeah, cool.
Tomato, Tomato.

Wrong.

Wrong.

#33130 - 01/11/11 07:52 PM Re: Sign of things to come? [Re: Beavis H. Christ]
Thumper Offline
Carpal Tunnel

#33131 - 01/11/11 08:20 PM Re: Sign of things to come? [Re: Bogus_bill]
imhotep Offline
old hand

Loc: Nearer the horizon
Commonsense Conservatives & lovers of America: 'Don't Retreat, Instead - RELOAD!'" Pls see my Facebook page.

#33132 - 01/11/11 08:26 PM Re: Sign of things to come? [Re: Bogus_bill]
Lumberjack Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Bogus_bill
Quote:
“We never ever, ever intended it to be gun sights. It was simply cross hairs like you’d see on maps,” Palin said.

I don't like Sarah Palin and because of that it would be convenient if a case could be made that her cross hairs perpetuated this tragedy. However, I gotta go with Thumper on this one. The symbolism looks lousy but I don't believe that in any way she meant cross hairs to have anything to do with actual guns.

"Don't retreat, reload" is the context. Gun imagery, literal and metaphorical, is both her message and her media.

Quote:
But not all conservatives are happy about Palin’s rhetoric. On “The View” TV show on Thursday, co-host Elizabeth Hasselbeck called Palin’s use of crosshairs imagery “despicable.” Ms. Hasselbeck’s critique raised eyebrows in particular because she had stumped for Palin during the 2008 campaign.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Politics/20...he-gun-rhetoric

The above quote was from March.

Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Who's Online
0 Registered (), 21 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Ads
Shout Box

Newest Members
michaeia, Bardesh23, MaryOkelley, Dan Jones, Eventrou
725 Registered Users
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23