I understand what you are trying to say but I have yet to find any place on the Internet that you can state an opinion and someone else will not respond with some kind of attack. It is sad but it is the way people are. Especially when they are anonymous which is like making a crank call from a pay phone.

But anonymous is nice as well. When you are anonymous you can take a stand on unpopular issues that are bound to be flamed but who cares? You are anonymous! There is quite a freedom there. No faces are associated with the comments. Feel free to stake out your online persona (which needn't be your real one).

I started participating in online discussions when all there was was BBS's. We used our own names then and even then flame wars broke out. I am convinced that unless you are in the room or know where the person lives and can punch the person in the nose, people will be rude.

These forums actually were started to be friendly with a Flame section for name calling and rudeness. You have to remember though the two things you cannot discuss in a friendly way: politics and religion. Rudeness spills over into them.

Welcome aboard and don't be timid.