Originally Posted By: Bogus_bill
People are losing homes, jobs and all sense of normalcy. In the background are Glen Becks, negative campaigning and the sense that our government really doesn't care for the small guy.

Someone popping politicians would fit right in to that situation. I hope we are not that crazy yet.

First of all, of course, all great wishes for Gabrielle Giffords. I have followed her career reasonably closely since she was elected in 2006, because she has been a pretty courageous Democrat from a district that's historically Republican.

But let's forget all that now. Let's now just do two things. One, pray/hope for her survival and recovery. Two, I would encourage all of you to keep an eye out for any signs of coverage that deplores the shooting but says something like, "Of course, there IS a lot of anger out there, so..." You won't hear that today. But keep an ear out for it Sunday, and Monday. As if there's a rationale for something like this. Just keep an ear out.

It might turn out that the shooter is just a nut. If so, so be it. But I implore you, just keep your ear to the ground. You can just hear it, can't you? "Of course, no one defends something like this, but..." Listen for that part after the but.

Finally, I see that Republicans are expressing the requisite horrified reaction. Good for them, today. But Giffords' office windows were broken during the 2009 healthcare summer of madness. And she cancelled an event just last week. Just keep an eye out.

- from The Guardian